Summer is ending and school is approaching. Pretty soon you're going to be spending your days and nights on a schedule (we don't think that's a bad thing) with little time to eat, sleep, or breathe. We're not sure how you're handling or planning dinner between carpool lines, homework, extracurricular activities, and playtime - oh and we forgot - your job! So we thought we would take the time go ahead and plan your dinners for the first week back to school. By the way, here's a reminder of those start dates:
Beaumont: August 24
Kelly High School: August 10
Hardin Jefferson: August 22
Nederland: August 22
PNG: August 23
And now for the main event: DINNERS
Chicken Burrito Bowl
1 lb Diced Chicken Breasts
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup Uncooked rice
1 Onion diced
1 14.5 oz can Diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can Black beans
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Cumin
2 1/2 cups Chicken broth
2 cups Shredded cheese
Salt and Pepper
Fresh diced tomatoes
Diced green onions
1. Start by sauteing onions in 2 Tbsp. olive oil until they start to soften.
2. Season diced chicken with 1 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper.
3. Add chicken to pan and cook over medium high heat until chicken has started to brown.
4. Move chicken to one side of pan, in the other side of the pan add an additional Tbsp. olive oil and saute uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn brown.
5. Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin.
6. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
7. Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
8. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
9. Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 minutes off of the heat to melt the cheese.
10. Spoon into bowl
11. Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
Crockpot Ranch Porkchops
2 Cream of Chicken
2 Dry ranch seasoning packet
Throw these ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low all day. They will melt in your mouth at dinner. Go ahead and serve them with your favorite mashed potatoes and use the extra "gravy" on top. You can thank us later for this one.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Leftovers
This time spread the mixture on a tortilla, roll it up like a burrito, and heat it in a buttered skillet until warm OR pour it over some tortilla chips for loaded nachos.
BBQ Shredded Chicken
Throw both ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low all day. When it's time for dinner, scoop it onto a bun with some slaw mix, onions, or pickles, or for a (slightly) healthier option, scoop it into a baked sweet potato.
Go to the football game of your choice and support the school's concession stand!
Cream of Chicken
Dry Ranch Seasoning